It has taken me years to find out which base routine works well for me. I went from high end to low end and I honestly didn’t know what I was looking for until last year, I found my perfect combination.
I have dry combination sensitive skin and super dry in the winter. I had to do the research myself to find my go-to base combo meaning primer and foundation. I had no idea where to start but to watch YouTube reviews and beauty blogger reviews and now here I am giving my two cents.
Let’s begin with primer. I honestly thought this was a scam to get us spending more money, but I’ve honestly noticed a difference once I’ve found my match.
I’m going to list some that I’ve tried and my opinions on each one.
- Nyx Angel Veil Skin Perfecting Primer – 0/5 – Broke me out completely and I haven’t forgiven it ever since
- Benefit Cosmetics the POREfessional Pore Minimizing Primer – 1/5 – Broke me out as well, obviously not meant for my skin type but it did minimize the pores
- Hourglass Veil Mineral Primer – 2/5 – I don’t think this did anything except feel nice on the skin
- Too Faced Hangover Replenishing Face Primer – 0/5 – I’ve got sensitive skin and I don’t know why it was a good idea for me to go for a primer that smells
- Tatcha The Silk Canvas Protective Primer – 2/5 – Very expensive, I expect a lot more with my primers if I’m going to pay that high of a price
- MAKE UP FOR EVER Step 1 Primer Pore Minimizer – 2/5 – overhyped primer that minimized the pores but left my skin feeling uncomfortable
- BECCA Cosmetics First Light Priming Filter Face Primer – 3/5 – honestly genuinely nice feeling to the skin and I really did like the purpleness to the primer but I’m not sure if it helped with my foundation stay longer
- MILK MAKEUP Blur Stick – 3/5 – This was pore minimizing without feeling heavy or dry on my skin but with certain foundations, it pilled up and removed my foundation
The winner: MILK MAKEUP Hydro Grip Primer
This primer is a God send. From packaging, the feel of the product to how it is applied – I love it. The pump is so satisfying because it’s an air pump so you’re sure to use all of the product and there’s no need for you to try to open it up and get to the bottom of it. I pump it on the back of my hand and apply it with my fingertips. The primer contains blue agave extract, aloe water and hyaluronic acid which as a dry skin girl, is essential. Once applied it feels a bit tacky but not uncomfortable. When you apply a foundation over top of it, you know it grabs on to the foundation and keeps it long lasting.
For coverage, I’ve always had trouble with oxidization with foundations turning me orange, foundation patches flaking off my skin, becoming an oily mess, and being super cakey. With enough research, watching enough beauty gurus I was able to find my two perfect foundations.
Let’s start with what I’ve tried and disliked about foundations:
- KVD Vegan Beauty Lock It Foundation – 2/5 – gave great coverage but it oxidized and felt heavy on the skin
- Clinique Even Better Foundation Makeup Broad Spectrum SPF – 1/5 – the product broke me out, made me super oily but still gave coverage.
- Lancôme Teint Idole Ultra Long Wear Foundation – 3/5 – The coverage was beautiful, but it isn’t very long lasting. I also found if I was extra dry that day, it’d become patchy.
- Laura Mercier Tinted Moisturize Natural Skin Perfector – 2/5 – I thought as a dry skin girl, I’d love this, but it emphasized a lot of texture on my creases.
- Maybelline Fit Me Matte and Poreless – 4/5 – Probably one of my old favourites but I outgrew the foundation due to how heavy it felt the on skin.
- L’Oreal Paris true match super-blendable makeup – 2/5 – This oxidized and although the foundation was liquidy, it moved around too much during wear.
- CoverGirl Clean Sensitive Liquid Foundation – 3/5 – It gave me coverage, but it broke me out and it looked cakey around my nose.
The two winners: L’Oreal Paris Infallible 24H Fresh Wear Foundation in 440 and Colourpop Pretty Fresh hyaluronic hydrating foundation in Medium 80W. Both used with beauty sponges.
L’Oreal Paris Infallible 24H Fresh Wear Foundation in 440
I wear this foundation for a super long wear glam day. I also love to wear it when I know I’m going to be applying cream products like blushes, bronzers or highlights. It’s not too matte or too hydrating, it gives a skin like look with the coverage. I honestly use this foundation for days I want to be a little extra because depending on how much you pump out, you can make this a full coverage beat. By the 10th hour of wearing this foundation, my skin still looked flawless. I’ve been wearing this foundation for almost three years actually.
Colourpop Pretty Fresh hyaluronic hydrating foundation in Medium 80W
This is my perfect everyday foundation. You can also build this up for full coverage, but I love it best with one full pump spread out on the skin. I have a lot of beauty marks and moles on my face and I always disliked fully covering it up but with this foundation, it doesn’t do that. If you ever catch a selfie with my face looking extra healthy and dewy, it’s this foundation. It works so well with powdered products and if I’m feeling extra dry, I lightly apply cream products overtop. I mean anything with hyaluronic acid, count me in.
Now that I’ve found my essential base products, I feel unstoppable. Feel free to let me know what your favourite base products are along with your skin type. I love trying out new makeup products, especially foundations. I still haven’t found my favourite finishing powders, but I don’t really necessarily use powders to set my face.